This recipe was inspired by my supervisor when I forgot my lunch last week. She shared her homemade lunch with me - quinoa, turkey, and garbanzo beans. While she makes hers slightly different, I liked it so much, I came up with my own version. It's hearty, filling, but not heavy. Try it alone or with some sauteed whole wheat naan. Yummy!
1 cup Quinoa
chicken broth (optional)
1-2 yellow onions, chopped
3-5 garlic cloves, chopped
1 pound ground turkey
1 can lite coconut milk
1 can garbanzo beans
frozen green peas
salt and pepper
Note: I added the majority of the spices at the end and did it according to taste.
1. Cook 1 cup of quinoa according to package instructions. I cooked 1 cup of quinoa in 2 cups of water, 1 tbsp.butter and a pinch of salt, but you can replace the water with chicken broth for added flavor. Set aside.
2. Add onions and garlic to a large skillet or Dutch Oven and saute in 1 tbsp olive oil until onions are soft and fragrant.
3. Add ground turkey and a dash of the curry powder, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper. Cook on medium high until turkey is no longer pink.
4. Add quinoa and coconut milk to the turkey and onion mixture.
5. Add the garbanzo beans (you can keep or discard the juice), frozen peas, and shredded carrots.
6. Add spices to taste, and let simmer until desired consistency.